Saturday, May 27, 2017

Why I Bought my Children Fidget Spinners

Why I bought my children fidget spinners.

My son has ADD. The fidget spinners is not for that, for him. For him, the spinner is 100% a distraction. And THAT is why he got one.

His hyper focus and hyper sensitivity can be such a challenge. Giving him a spinner engages his attention when I need to distract him; waiting for a meal at a restaurant, being poked at a doctor appointment, and much more.

The spinner works as motivation to get him to focus on the task to earn the reward.

My daughter is a budding engineer and is fascinated with the construction and physics of the toys design. Less than a minute of owning hers it was taken apart to examine the inner ball bearings and it's functionality.

For her it's a STEM toy.

Physics Explains WHY fidgets are so much fun!

For both, it's a TOY. it's not to go to school. It's not an aid for their ADD or whatnot. It's a toy. It's fun. It's interesting. It's sparking an interest in physics and engineering.

So with all the controversy.... I say know your child and make a sound choice. Under 3, maybe no. Small parts could go in mouths. But for an older kid... sure.

First thing I said to the kids... keep it out of your mouth. They both looked at me with the expression of "well obviously mom"...

I know my kids. You know yours. Make your decisions based on your knowledge of your kids.

Does your child throw things? Bury in the sand box? Put things in their mouths.... maybe this isn't the toy for them.

Know your child.

Would you buy your child a different toy? Maybe a Paw Patrol car? Or a shopkins set? Maybe tsum tsums?? Or a blind bag?

 


I see this as basically the same. It's a toy. AND It's helping my kids in ways it was never intended to do. So for me, that's an upside and win!

And for our family... sure... the kids can have the spinner. We are all for it.

Rule: keep it out of school
Rule: keep it out of your mouth
Rule: mom and dad get to play with it too!

#fidgetspinner #STEMtoy #physicsTOY

No comments:

Post a Comment