Sunday, August 10, 2014

Need a pedometer, but not sure which one? Read This!

Where do you get a pedometer? Any pedometer is great. It's about finding the right one for you and your wallet. I've listed a few, but any kind will work.

Here's a basic inexpensive entry level pedometer, the Omron HJ-321: It sells for under $20. You clip it to your waistband. It has a 7 day memory, and will show your steps for each day; resetting at midnight. It will not sync with my fitness pal, and does not have a smart phone app. http://amzn.to/1A5XucA
This is another good beginner pedometer that costs a little more, but has a bit more features. The Omron HJ-112. This one goes for about $40. This is the one my husband uses and he loves it. You can just toss it in your pocket, no specific placement needed. Like the basic pedometer listed above, it has a 7 day memory, and will show your steps for each day; resetting at midnight. It will not sync with my fitness pal, and does not have a smart phone app. http://amzn.to/1A5XqJX


I now use a Fitbit Flex, (find me and friend me on fitbit: https://www.fitbit.com/user/26GVX3) and it's pretty awesome, but a bit more pricey at around $99.  It's easy to wear on your wrist, tracks steps and sleep, and is water resistant up to 30 meters so you can wear it when you go swimming or take a shower. It has a rechargeable battery, so you just need to charge it back up roughly once a week, and syncs automatically to my fitness pal, which is really nice. http://amzn.to/1sLA6i9
Fitbit makes a few other models which offer similar results. The One, also around $99, clips to your bra or belt loop, and has a wrist band to wear it when you sleep. It tracks stairs climbed too, something the Fitbit Flex does not do. But it is NOT water resistant, so you have to take it off if you go swimming or jump in the shower. The One also has a rechargeable battery like the flex. http://amzn.to/1nGqdvY 
Fitbit has an entry level pedometer too, called the Fitbit Zip. The Zip retails around $50, clips to your pocket or waistband. It will not track your sleep, nor should you get it wet (sweat and rain okay though). It has a replaceable battery that you will need to change every 4-6 months. http://amzn.to/VdRXRp


ALL FITBITS sync with my fitness pal and also sync with Fitbit's phone app on both iPhone and Android operating systems. However if you have an older iPhone (like me), the app will work, but won't automatically sync via Bluetooth. That feature works on all iPhone's 4s and newer. I have an iPhone 4. 

Some people have told me about a newer fitness tracker called Misfit Shine. It's priced similarly to the Fitbit Flex and The One. It has a variety of colors. Looks like a traditional watch, but you can have the option of wearing on your wrist or anywhere actually. It claims to track more then just steps and sleep including swimming, cycling, tennis, basketball, and more. It does not have a rechargeable battery so you will have to replace its battery every 6 months. http://amzn.to/XUme9U
And of course there is always the FREE smartphone walking/pedometer app. There are a ton to choose from. How well they work is questionable, but that's the fun in trying things out, right? Just remember with FREE usually means lots of pop up ads, and/or in app purchases. Personally, I'd rather NOT deal with that, but maybe that's just me. 

Have more questions? Click here to contact me. Need a coach? Consider me! Sign up for FREE here: bit.ly/FreeCoachBwarsh

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. ...excellent article. I started out with Omron and was going to wait till it died. It never did but I treated myself to the Charge HR. Love it.....so motivating. I buy pedometers as gifts and love to see them be used. Again....thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. ...excellent article. I started out with Omron and was going to wait till it died. It never did but I treated myself to the Charge HR. Love it.....so motivating. I buy pedometers as gifts and love to see them be used. Again....thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete