Thursday, July 26, 2012

Zachary Vurtis Hammond - Birth Story


Better late then never...

I'm finally getting around to typing this up and sharing with you all.

As most of you know, I had a scheduled c-section due to issues and concerns with my uterus and the scarring inside. On 7/11/12, at 39w1d, we went to the hospital to have Zachary.

We got checked in to Labor and Delivery. They had me change to a gown, and got started monitoring me and baby. Then they came in to put the IV in. That was challenging. Apparently I'm difficult to stick. Ended up having to have it in my right hand. Wasn't happy about that, since I'm right handed, but it was what it was.

Walked into the OR when they were ready and hopped up to the table. That's where they tried to get the epidural in me. Apparently the only place on my body that is "skinny" is my back and spine, so she had a lot of trouble getting the epi in. 4 attempts later she kind of got it in, and then we started on the spinal. Can I just say the epi and spinal actually hurt like hell and that was with the lidocane applied EACH time.

Finally laying down and DH comes in to join the fun. They had already started when he got in to the OR so he got quite a good look at my insides. Poor DH. More of me then he'd ever had wanted to see.

Well there was some complications. The scarring was really bad. Paper thin bad. So bad that they had to make additional cuts lower and in the process, scalpeled my son's forehead on his way out. (and yes there was a LOT of blood coming out of his forehead) I also lost a lot of blood and had to have a transfusion. My blood pressure got bad and I had a horrible headache. I felt like my head was going to pop off my neck and shoulders. The pounding pressure was awful. I also felt very nauseous out of the blue. So anesthesia pumped me full of more drugs.

I heard my OB mention a problem with my bladder. I heard my son cry. I couldn't see anything. DH left my side to be with my son. I had no idea how he was. No stats. I was left to wonder was he okay? How big was he? Did he want to meet me?

I nearly passed out. About 10-15 minutes later, I still hadn't been given my son. I was really upset. Crying like a little girl. They all probably thought I was just emotional. I was mad, and sad, and confused.

Then a nurse comes up and say's "Don't worry about his toe, it can be fixed". WHAT? What's wrong with his toe? This is how I first find out something is wrong??? More crying from me.

Finally DH comes back and tells me Zachary is perfect. The OR pediatricians wave goodbye to me and confirm my son is perfect. I still haven't seen him by the way.

DH sits with me, holds my hand and they finally bring me Zachary. But only briefly, then they go back to work on me. Zachary went into a warmer I guess, and I saw him again in my room/recovery. I had to insist on skin to skin and that I wanted to nurse him right away. I was really unaware how bad "I" was. I just wanted my son.

So they got us situated and finally I got my skin to skin with my boy and started to feed him. At least I tried. It was awkward. I was so sore and couldn't understand why. Shouldn't I be full of anesthesia?

The thing was, I was in the OR so long that the anesthesia actually wore off much sooner then I thought it should had. DD's c-section was over in 30 minutes. I was apparently in the OR with DS delivery over 2 hours. I had no clue.

I finally got a chance to look at his head wound. Lots of blood, but the nurse was able to clean him up, and it wasn't as bad as it first appeared. Head wounds bleed a lot. And his toe.... he has 11 toes. His big toe on his left foot is a double big toe. And yes, we will be getting it fixed.

After finally leaving recovery and moving to my room in maternity, my stress level began to come down. But man what a long day. Didn't get settled into my room until way past 6pm and my surgery was at 1pm.

After speaking with my OB afterwards, it turns out that having the c-section really was the right call. I had unusual scarring on my bladder and my uterus was a mess. The scarring left from my myomectomy was paper thin. No exaggeration. It's so bad that had I not had a tubal ligation (tubes tied) I'd be advised to never get PG again, as the chance of a uterus rupture is highly great.

I also developed pre-eclampsia postpartum. So my blood pressure went up and my headaches were terrible, among other things. And about a week after my staples were removed from my incision, I developed an infection. So I've been having a rough go all around.

Was it worth it??? Hell yes. Zachary is a beautiful, sweet, mellow, happy baby and he's in perfect health. Sure he has an extra toe... more to love right? We are all in love. He's a delight, and we couldn't be happier.

By the way, he was born at 2:26pm, Wednesday, 7/11/2012. He weighed 7 pounds, 13 ounces, and was 19.5 inches long.

I'm glad he's my last. I'm glad I will NEVER have to have a c-section again. I don't do c-sections well apparently and I'm happy to close that chapter forever.

We have an appointment scheduled with the orthopedic surgeon for Zach's toe the end of August and will go from there. We suspect he'll have a surgery to remove and reconstruct his foot sometime between 6 months and a year... basically before he starts walking or needs shoes for real.





1 comment: