Thursday, April 19, 2012

To Bris or Not to Bris

We think it's important for our son to have a Hebrew Name, as Natalya has one and to be fair he should too. But we can not do a Bris, or rather question whether we should do one. Honestly, we just can't afford it. Not just the cost of the bris, but the "oneg"/party meals and invited guests and big "to do". I'm the only one working, Craig is still looking, but nothing has turned up. We only have my income to rely on and when I have this baby in July I go onto unpaid maternity leave.

We're out of money come June if Craig hasn't picked up something by then.

I'm in a pickle. I need to see what can be done to help officially name my son.

We are planning to have our son circumcised at the hospital before we go home. Doing it this way, his procedure will be covered by our health insurance. I'd like to see if it'd be possible to do a private or small baby naming ceremony, or at least just get a name certificate for our boy. When we named Natalya, we did a very small private "ceremony" at our home with a few family friends and family who were in town for her birth. I was hoping to do something similar for our son. And if it couldn't be done in my home, maybe we could go to your office and do it there???

I'm not sure what to do. I'm honestly torn. I was so strong in my faith in the Jewish Community here in Burlington, but after what happened to me at OZ and now what has happened to Craig at TS, it's hard to be supportive as we both feel that we were tossed out and no longer welcome; at either synagogue. But, I also need to do what's right for my child, both children. Obviously prioritizing our family needs come first... food, clothes, shelter...

Being in this pickle, so to speak, is very difficult. It hurts my pride and my sense of obligation.

No comments:

Post a Comment